Skip to main content

CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE - I Am An Ambassador Of Myself, I don’t Represent Nigeria


 
Novelist, Chimamanda Adichie, says she doesn’t think herself an ambassador of Nigeria, adding that she detests certain things about her country.

The 42-year-old author was speaking to TheAfricaReport on her convictions about colonialism, politics, and pop culture when she was asked if her global brand stands in as an ambassador for Nigeria.

“No. I am an ambassador for myself. I don’t represent Nigeria; there are things about Nigeria I don’t like. But, at the same time, I am very very proud of my Nigerian identity,” Adichie said.

“I was born and raised in Nigeria, which I didn’t leave until I was 19. I’m proud to be Nigerian, I’m proud to be African, I’m proud to be Igbo. I won’t who I am today if I wasn’t all of those things.”

 
The novelist, who divides her time between Nigeria and the United States, while traveling the globe, also opened up on why she initially refused an American passport.

“For a long time, I didn’t want to become a US citizen because I believed that part of the experience of being Nigerian is experiencing the humiliations of traveling on a Nigerian passport,” she added.

“But I changed my mind about US citizenship after my father was kidnapped in 2015 and it was the American embassy in Lagos and not the Nigerian government who helped my family.

“They even sent a therapist to my father after he was released. I now plan to become an American citizen at some point, but I guess I’m still delaying it.”

In March, Adichie had made headlines after she, once again, denied the plagiarism claims of Anne Giwa-Amu, a Welsh author and lawyer, with respect to her 2006 novel ‘Half of A Yellow Sun’.

She earned huge recognition for her works, which have been translated into several languages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Killed My Husband, Not My Mind”: Widows Reclaim Hope Through Scarlet Cord Initiative In Southern Kaduna, trauma-healed widows are turning grief into business ideas and resilience into economic power.

​Widows Reclaim Hope Through Scarlet Cord Initiative In Southern Kaduna, trauma-healed widows are turning grief into business ideas and resilience into economic power. By Justin Jattim  A non-profit organization dedicated to the empowerment, education, and economic upliftment of vulnerable women and youth impacted by banditry, kidnapping, and insurgency in Nigeria, the Scarlet Cord Initiative, has extended its work to Gumel in Kachia, southern Kaduna. There, it held a two-day holistic empowerment programme for about 100 traumatized women. The programme included skills training, mentorship, trauma psycho-support, and advocacy. The event, which took place in a vibrant hall in Gora, began with a simple ball of yarn passed from hand to hand, weaving a visible web of connection among the 100 selected widows. These women shared the experience of losing their husbands to violent attacks. This was not a craft lesson, but the opening act of a profound tra...

CAN Leaders Urge Action: 'Genocide' Claims Rock Jos Gathering

​ CAN Leaders Urge Action: 'Genocide' Claims Rock Jos Gathering Plateau Hosts Tense CAN Meeting Amidst Rising Insecurity Church Leaders Sound Alarm: 'Stop the Killings, Stop the Silence' Mutfwang Pledges Support as CAN Demands End to 'Christian Genocide' Jos Declaration: CAN Leaders Call for End to Violence, Injustice.  By, Justin Jattim. The Executive Governor of Plateau State, Barr. Caleb Mutfwang, has reiterated his commitment to finding a lasting solution to end the killings and displacement of citizens in Plateau State. Governor Mutfwang made this statement at the Fourth Quarter National Executive Council Meeting of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Jos on Tuesday 18th November, 2025. The meeting provided a platform for Christian leaders, stakeholders, traditional rulers, and government officials to discuss key national issues affecting the Christian community in Nigeria. Represented by his deputy, Ngo Josephine Piyo, Governor Mutfwa...

NCDC BOARD, MANAGEMENT CONDOLE MD/CEO DR. CYRIL YILTSEN TSENYIL OVER THE LOSS OF UNCLE, MISKOOM PIUS NKUP YILBIAL.

NCDC BOARD, MANAGEMENT CONDOLE MD/CEO DR. CYRIL YILTSEN TSENYIL OVER THE LOSS OF UNCLE, MISKOOM PIUS NKUP YILBIAL.  The Chairman, Members of the Governing Board, Management, and Staff of the North Central Development Commission (NCDC) extend their heartfelt condolences to the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Cyril Yiltsen Tsenyil, on the passing of his beloved eldest uncle, Miskoom Pius Nkup Yilbial, who departed this life at the age of 88. The Commission joins the family, the people of Gamaland, and all those whose lives were touched by the late elder statesman in mourning this great loss. Late Miskoom Pius Nkup Yilbial lived a life of service, integrity, and dedication to humanity. As a teacher, school administrator, and one of the pioneer management staff of the Lower Benue River Basin Development Authority, he made significant contributions to education, public service, and national development. Beyond his professional accomplishments, he was a respected commu...